Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Budget blues update #2

I'm feeling a lot better about my budget these days.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but yesterday I decided to make my meal planning official - I bought one of those composition books ($3.14 - didn't they used to be a lot cheaper?!).

Anyways, I decided I was going to keep track of my meal plans in this notebook. Not only am I writing down the ingredients I need to buy at the bottom of the page, but I am keeping two columns: one for the plan, and one for the "actual" (what I actually end up eating/buying).

It sounds kind of over the top now that I'm describing it, but I actually think this could lead to other positives besides better meal budgeting...such as exploring different recipes, ensuring healthy and balanced eating habits, etc. As you can see by last week's excerpt - my previous meals were not very sophisticated, and probably not the healthiest, either!

This evening, I am going to try to make this dish my Grandma (Oma) makes really well. It's salmon with spinach and some sort of yummy sauce. First step: ask my mom for the recipe! Next step: go shopping (but stay within budget!)

No comments:

Post a Comment